Annually, in the United States, an estimated 47% of adults suffer from headaches, costing billions of dollars in treatment costs. Particularly in countries where there are characterized by the hot and humid climate, erratic weather, plus pressure in life and work are favorable conditions for recurrent headaches. Abusing analgesia to treat headaches is only considered an immediate remedy and may have many unwanted side effects such as memory loss and the risk of other conditions according to neuroscientists.
One of the safest and most effective treatments is the use of alternative natural methods including the use of essential oils, that will be the promising and persuasive choice for you.
Since ancient times, natural essential oils have been considered to have many positive effects on health such as relieve pain, anti-inflammation, anti-spasm, reduce anxiety, stress should be used popularly to treat a headache.
In this article, we will provide you with the information about the essential oils for headache treatment in the following.
1. Peppermint essential oil
Peppermint oil is one of the most versatile essential oils that not only have the great scent but also has many healing effects.
This essential oil can help you deal with headaches by relieving pain and relaxation. Here is the headache relief mechanism of peppermint oil:
Peppermint oil contains significant amounts of menthol to help relieve headaches by relieving pain.
Headaches often cause poor circulation. Massage with this aromatic oil in the forehead helps the flow of blood vessels. This oil also helps vent the nose to oxygen into the blood more.
Peppermint oil works by relaxing the muscles, so it is especially beneficial for tension headaches.
Stress is one of the leading causes of headaches. The aroma of peppermint oil helps relieve anxiety and tension.
How to use:
- Add 2-3 drops of peppermint oil to your hands and gently rub into the temple and over the sinus area. But avoid rubbing the oil on your eyes.
- May combine two drops of lavender essential oil with two drops of peppermint essential oil and apply it lightly on the surface of the skin near the ears, neck, throat.
- Mix 3 drops of peppermint oil with one teaspoon of water or base oil as coconut oil in a cup. Then infuse cotton or cloth and apply to the temples.
2. Lavender essential oil
For centuries, lavender has been widely used for antiseptic and soothing effects. It is renowned for its anti-inflammatory properties, which help regulate blood vessel functions, thus helping to reduce headaches effectively.
Using essential oils burning lamp is a common method because it is convenient, save time and especially can diffuse the essential oil to create a comfortable space for us to breathe, thus relieve headaches.
Smell the aroma of lavender essential oil can help control migraines headache acute. Studies have shown that the headaches drop significantly after 15 minutes of smelling lavender essential oil.
Essential oils burning lamp by the candle is simple, easy to use and cheap. You need to follow these steps:
- First, you pour water (cold or warm with 60 – 70 degrees) into the plate containing water and oil of the lamp. Pouring water about ½ to 2/3 of the plate is medium.
- Next, remove the candles and set the candles on the plate in the lower chamber of the lamp. Choose a colorless, odorless candle that is best diffused and does not affect health.
- Wait for warm water (if it is cold) or directly add 3-5 drops of lavender oil to the water (if the water is hot 60 – 70 degrees). You should not put the oil in water when cold water is effective.
- After just 3 to 5 minutes, lavender oil will diffuse throughout the space of the room, which gives you a fresh atmosphere and helps to relieve headaches.
Electric oil burners are convenient, safe and more effective than candle burners.
- Pour cold water or warm water into the disk.
- Add directly from 3 to 5 drops of lavender oil to the disk. If the water is warm, you can pour the oil immediately, if there is cold water, please wait a moment to warm water up slightly.
- Plug in power to start the machine. As soon as the water is warm, the oil will begin to diffuse across space rapidly. Fragrance oils will help you deodorize, incense, purge the mind and relieve headaches very effectively.
3. Eucalyptus essential oil
Eucalyptus oil is also considered to be effective in treating headaches. It has essential traits such as the ability to release stress in the muscles and blood vessels. Eucalyptus oil can irritate the skin when applied directly to the skin, so when using you should choose the way of taking a sauna to achieve the desired effect.
You can take a sauna with eucalyptus oil with essential oils burning lamp as above. Or if you don’t have the burning lamp, you can follow these steps by traditional taking a sauna.
How to do:
- Pour boiling water into a large bowl (about 1 liter of water)
- Add five drops of eucalyptus oil to that bowl of water.
- Put your face in the bowl of water about 15 – 20 cm within 10 – 15 minutes, breathe evenly.
- You should put a towel over your head so that the oil absorbs to your face better.
- Finally, remove the towel and use two hands to massage the temples gently.
- Essential oils are considered safe and have fewer side effects than most migraine and headaches medications.
- The greatest risk associated with essential oils is the risk of allergic reactions or irritation. Applying oil to the skin can cause irritation, including burning sensation, redness or rash.
- You should dilute all essential oils, including peppermint oil and green eucalyptus oil before applying to the skin. To avoid wide-area irritation, make a small test site on your skin before using large amounts. If there is no response within 24 to 48 hours, it is safe to use.
- There are very few essential oils recommended for infants less than one year of age, or for pregnant and lactating women. Lavender essential oil can be particularly dangerous for these objects.
Each person will be suitable for each essential oils for headaches and treatment, so you need to experience the method that suits you while combining with the lifestyle and the appropriate living arrangements to control the pain most effectively.
Using essential oils is a safe and effective method for headaches. However, if you have a history of headaches or your headaches persist and affect your life, see your doctor. For severe headaches or severe migraines, essential oils for headaches are considered as the other treatments for prescription drugs.